Intricate leaded glass doors grace the entrance to 1101 North Delaware. Circa 1878, the Gothic Queen Anne house was built for William Pinkney Fishback, a law partner of Benjamin Harrison and noted author and owner-editor of the Indianapolis Journal newspaper. Mr. Fishback was a well-known citizen and upon his death in 1901, his friend, James Whitcomb Riley memorialized him in a poem.
The years brought a succession of prominent owners to the home. Among them was the widow of John C. New, whose illustrious career included serving as Quartermaster General during the Civil War and Treasurer of the United States under the Grant Administration. During the 1920’s, members of the well-known Vonnegut family were tenants; in the 1930’s, it was purchased by the Indianapolis Business and Professional Women’s Club.
Eventually, the house was converted to commercial use, when purchased in 1941 by the R. B. Annis Company, manufacturers of industrial electronic equipment. Through this transition, the architectural details of the house were preserved and the house was later gifted to the Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana by Elmira Annis and her late husband, R.B. In 2007, Andy and Gail Shiel purchased the house and began major exterior restoration, including the rebuilding of the Delaware Street entrance porch.
This Indianapolis treasure and its adjacent Carriage House has undergone extensive renovation by 11th and Delaware Partners. Interior architectural elements include original woodwork, mantels, walnut staircase, and leaded and stained glass windows. Great care has been taken to restore the original character of the home while adapting the space for offices, business meetings, and special events. Current tenants include: cmcglobal, DMCIndy, Lew White Tours, and Nth. Power Business Solutions.